ASUS Antimicrobial Technology
Inhibit 99% of COVID-19, flu virus & bacteria*
ASUS Antimicrobial Technology is applied to frequently touched areas of your laptop to help keep it hygienic. ASUS Antimicrobial Guard inhibits the growth of bacteria, while ASUS Antimicrobial Guard Plus uses a denser treatment* that also inhibits viruses. The technology is scientifically proven — using the ISO 217021 and 221962 standards — to inhibit virus and bacteria growth by more than 99% over a 24-hour period3. Virus and bacteria strains used for the tests include the SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) virus, H3N2 (Influenza A) virus and the E. coli bacterium4.
viral & bacterial inhibiting effect
of lasting protection8
Antimicrobial Guard Plus
Vivobook Pro 16 OLED (K6604)
Vivobook 15 OLED (X1505)
ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (H7604)
Vivobook Pro 15 OLED (K6502)
Vivobook 14 OLED (X1405)
The stickers on your laptop indicate that ASUS Antimicrobial Technology is effectively protecting your laptop. To identify which specific areas on your model are protected by ASUS Antimicrobial Guard or Antimicrobial Guard Plus, please refer to the laptop’s product website for more in-depth information.
ASUS Antimicrobial Technology
ASUS Antimicrobial Technology is available in two levels: ASUS Antimicrobial Guard inhibits the growth of bacteria, and ASUS Antimicrobial Guard Plus inhibits the growth of viruses and bacteria.
|Compare Plans||Antimicrobial Guard Plus||Antimicrobial Guard|
|Inhibit virus||SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19), H3N2,H1N1 (Influenza A)||No|
|Inhibit bacteria||E. coli and Staphylococcus||E. coli and Staphylococcus|
|International Standard||ISO 21702ISO 22196||ISO 22196|
|Compare Plans||Antimicrobial Guard Plus|
|Inhibit virus||SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19), H3N2,H1N1 (Influenza A)|
|Inhibit bacteria||E. coli and Staphylococcus|
|International Standard||ISO 21702ISO 22196|
|Compare Plans||Antimicrobial Guard|
|Inhibit bacteria||E. coli and Staphylococcus|
|International Standard||ISO 22196|
ASUS Antimicrobial Guard Plus
Inhibit 99% of COVID-19, flu virus & bacteria
Viruses and bacteria are everywhere in our daily life. Antimicrobial Guard Plus inhibits all viruses and bacteria with an envelope (the outermost layer of many types of viruses and bacteria) from the surface of the protected parts. ISO 21702 testing shows that it can inhibit the growth of SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19), H1N1, H3N2 (Influenza A) and harmful bacteria.
SARS-CoV-2 virus (COVID-19)
Since 2020, COVID-19 has ravaged the globe. More than 580M people9 worldwide have been infected.
Influenza A (H3N2)
The influenza A and B viruses that routinely spread in people are responsible for seasonal flu epidemics each year10.
Since the 2009 H1N1 pandemic, the (H1N1) pdm09 flu virus has circulated seasonally in the US, causing significant illnesses, hospitalizations, and deaths11.
ASUS Antimicrobial Guard
99% bacterial inhibition
Antimicrobial Guard can inhibit almost all known bacteria. ISO 22196 testing uses Staphylococcus and E. coli as the test targets.
Staphylococcus aureus is a type of germ that about 30% of people carry in their noses. Most of the time, it does not cause any harm; however, sometimes it causes infections12.
Escherichia coli is a bacterium found in the environment and on foods. Although most strains of E. coli are harmless, others can make you sick13.
How does ASUS Antimicrobial Technology works?
ASUS Antimicrobial Technology is a surface coating14 on the laptop that contains positively-charged silver ions.
Silver ions and negatively-charged microbial cells are attracted to each other upon and then pierce the surface to damage their structure, inhibiting reproduction.
Why ASUS Antimicrobial Technology?
We constantly use our laptops to type up reports, send out emails, move laptops around, or eat over them when curled up on the couch while streaming movies. Food crumbs, pet hair, cigarette ash, and even oil from our skin can all be found on and inside our keyboards.
Working with pets
Using a laptop with children
Discussion around the laptop
Using a laptop for productivity
Eating while using a laptop
Protection for all main touchpoints
A silver-ion or similar hygienic coating is applied to the most frequently touched areas of the laptop15, including the keyboard, the touchpad (or ASUS NumberPad), the palm rest area and power button/fingerprint sensor. This ensures your laptop stays clean and sanitary, reducing the spread of potentially harmful virus and bacteria via contact.
Tracking the touchpad while scrolling websites or using the ASUS NumberPad.
Typing on the keyboard and touching the palm rest while working on projects or reports.
One-touch login to start the laptop.
Proven 99% viral & bacterial-inhibiting effect
Without ASUS Antimicrobial Technology, an estimated sample of 10,000 (pfu/ml) cells grew to 28,000 (pfu/ml). Performing the same test with Antimicrobial Technology saw the count reduced to just 16 (pfu/ml) — a growth restriction of more than 99%. Our testing conforms to the ISO 21702 and ISO 22196 international standards.
Antimicrobial treated laptop
Virus & bacteria numbers: 16
Virus & bacteria numbers: 28000
Antimicrobial-treated laptopUntreated laptop
(35°C, 24 hours)
(35°C, 24 hours)
> 99% difference
Proven by International Standards
ISO 21702(virus inhibition)
ISO 21702 measures antiviral activity on plastics and other non-porous surfaces, normally using the influenza-A virus (H3N2) and feline calicivirus as the standards for testing. We also test using SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19), Influenza A (H3N2), and H1N1 in order to improve protection.
ISO 22196(bacteria inhibition)
The ISO 22196 test uses Staphylococcus aureus and E. coli as the standard targets. All bacteria can be classified by Gram staining into Gram positive or Gram negative, named after bacteriologist Hans Christian Gram. These are the most commonly used standards for evaluating antibacterial activity.
How long it can protect the laptop?
ASUS Antimicrobial Technology is tough enough to last for at least three years in normal usage. Frequent typing, or cleaning with household products and agents such as alcohol wipes or soap and water, won’t easily wear away the silver-ion surface treatment, ensuring ASUS Antimicrobial Technology’s virus- and bacteria-inhibiting effect will last a long time.
of lasting protection
- ASUS has partnered with ISHIZUKA on our ASUS antimicrobial products and use IONPURE antimicrobial agent on selected ASUS products.
- ISO 21702 specifies proper methods for measuring antiviral activity on plastics and other non-porous surfaces of antiviral-treated products. Test Viruses used in this International Standard are as follows: Influenza: An enveloped virus known to cause respiratory tract infection in humans. Feline calicivirus: A non-enveloped virus used in place of noroviruses known to cause enteric pathogens due to similar biological properties.
- ISO 22196:2011 specifies a method of evaluating the antibacterial activity of antibacterial-treated plastics, and other non-porous, surfaces of products (including intermediate products).
- Clinical testing using the ISO 21702 and ISO 22196 standard protocol proved that viral and bacterial growth were inhibited by 99% over a 24-hour period. A 99% reduction in potentially harmful microorganisms is defined as the number of viruses and bacteria on the surface dropping from 1,000,000 (cfu/pfu) to 100 (cfu/pfu).
- COVID-19, H3N2, H1N1, E. coli and Staphylococcus tests were performed by independent third-party laboratories: Boken Quality Evaluation Institute, Japan Textile Products Quality and Technology Center, and National Defense Medical Center.
- Antimicrobial treatments are manufactured by Co-Action Corporation.
- The Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) is the Federal statute that governs the registration, distribution, sale, and use of pesticides in the United States.
- The Biocidal Products Regulation (BPR, Regulation (EU) 528/2012) concerns the placing on the market and use of biocidal products, which are used to protect humans, animals, materials or articles against harmful organisms like pests or bacteria, by the action of the active substances contained in the biocidal product.
- Note that the protective effects of ASUS Antimicrobial Guard were tested by ASUS on April 26, 2021, and follow the ISO 22196 method on our specially-treated test samples. The tests provide a simulation of three years of wear and tear, and include exposure to salt spray, thermal shocks, and both alcohol and wool-felt tests. Actual effective antibacterial-protection period may vary depending on product configuration and usage.
- As of 22 August 2022, refer to WHO Coronavirus (COVID-19) Dashboard. https://covid19.who.int/
- Learn more: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/viruses/index.htm
- Learn more: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html
- Learn more: https://www.cdc.gov/ecoli/ecoli-prevention.html
- Learn more: https://www.cdc.gov/hai/organisms/staph.html
- The actual composition of ASUS Antimicrobial Guard Plus may vary.
- To identify which specific areas on your model are protected by ASUS Antimicrobial Technology, please refer to the relevant product website for more information.