Release Note
ZenTalk

12Next

[Experience Sharing] Zenfone 4 Selfie Pro ZD552KL Camera Review - 4K Vlogging On A Budget !

4551 11
Jump to specific floor
Latest Post
mail2ronit IND Dr. Zen(IN) | All posts
Last edited by mail2ronit on 2017/11/9 03:24

Camera Review Cover.jpg

After three freaking generations of pretty impressive smartphones, ASUS brought the 4th Generation of of their Zenfone series that consists of Multiple types of variants once again. I am currently testing the flagship among the Zenfone 4 Selfie series that ASUS is calling the Zenfone 4 Selfie Pro. This device comes with a total of three Cameras so, definitely the series of articles should start with a Camera review right ? So here it is, Zenfone 4 Selfie Pro Camera Review.

If you guys are old ZenTalk members, you guys already know how I make my Camera Reviews. If you're new though, there will be a Hardware Introduction and Photo & Video Samples from both Rear & Front facing cameras at first & after those are completed, I'll give you my Review & Overall thoughts on the Cameras. So, let's start with the Rear Facing Camera & then we'll directly jump to the Front Facing Camera(s).....

Back Camera.png

On the back the Zenfone 4 Selfie Pro is rocking a 16 Megapixel Sony IMX351 sensor with a f-2.2 Aperture Lens on top of it. There is a Singl-tone LED Flash at the left side of the Camera.  Let's check out some day & low-light Camera Samples.

Daylight Shots

P_20171104_141055.jpg

P_20171104_141338_vHDR_On_HP.jpg

P_20171104_141403_vHDR_On_HP.jpg

P_20171104_141732.jpg

P_20171104_141818.jpg

P_20171104_142224_vHDR_On_HP.jpg

P_20171104_143101_vHDR_On_HP.jpg

P_20171104_143635_vHDR_On_HP.jpg

P_20171104_153244_vHDR_On_HP.jpg

Low-Light Shots

P_20171104_160831_vHDR_On_HP.jpg

P_20171104_161527_vHDR_On_HP.jpg

P_20171104_162912.jpg

P_20171104_163317.jpg

P_20171104_163841.jpg

P_20171104_164159.jpg

P_20171104_170908_vHDR_On.jpg

P_20171104_171729_vHDR_On.jpg

So, the above pictures are taken directly from the Camera & these are completely unedited so, you can get an idea how the Rear Camera stands from the bright sunlight to comparatively less bright & extreme low light conditions. We'll have a brief discussion about the Camera Quality later on but, let's quickly visit the Front Facing Camera or I may say Cameras, which are the main Highlighting components for this particular device.

Front Camera(s).png

In the Front we have two Cameras. There is a 12MP Main Shooter & a 5MP 120 Degree Wide-angle Shooter. The main shooter has a big aperture of f-1.8 that allows more light through that is geared towards the lens to produce better low-light performance & a shallower Depth-of-field. Also, ASUS has tweaked the 12MP Sony IMX362 sensor to take Two Photos at the same time & combile their data to produce a more detailed image while boosting the resolution to 24MP. ASUS calls this abilty, their Duo-Pixel Technology. So let's go through some Camera samples now...

Daylight Shots

Main Shooter -

P_20171104_143746_vHDR_On_HP.jpg

P_20171104_144444.jpg

P_20171104_135023.jpg

Wide Angle Shooter -

P_20171104_161815.jpg

P_20171104_143936_vHDR_On_HP.jpg

Lowlight Shots

Main Shooter -

P_20171104_174114.jpg

P_20171104_171429_vHDR_On.jpg

Wide-angle Shooter-

P_20171104_165157.jpg

Now the above Picture may look like it's a Daylight pic but, it was actually evening time & the sky was kinda blown out here. After the evening lights became very dim though, the Camera app showed a warning that it has ditected Low-light area so, I should switch to the main lens so, I haven't captured ant low light shots with Wide Angle camera after that. The first low light shot however was taken in Complete Darkness using only the Front Facing Flash with the 12MP Main shooter.

Now, the both the Front & the Rear Cameras support Portrait Mode. So here are a couple of Portrait shots from the Front Facing Camera....

Portrait Shots -

P_20171106_153402_BF.jpg

P_20171108_113810.jpg

Oh, and this device is also capable to shoot 4K 30 FPS Videos not just from the Back but, also from the Front facing Camera. So, here is a short clip to give you an idea about the Video Recording Capabilities of this device. Do keep in Mind that this video has been shot on 4K so, if you're on PC & you have the Bandwidth to watch, don't forget to set the resolution to 4K.

Video Sample (Front & Rear Facing Cameras) -

CReview Main.png

I know many of you might be thinking that what controls ASUS has packed inside their new Pixel Master Camera app & why the hell I haven't talked about them. Well, that's because I need those things for this perticular portion & we'll again get into things one by one. Let's start from the......

Front Facing Camera(s) -

The Front Facing Camera is the main aspect of this device so, it must be a good one right ? Well, it is actually a good one for the Price. Before I dig in too much, let's check out the Interface & the Modes that it offers.

Screenshot_20171108-113557.jpg

Screenshot_20171108-113604.jpg

So, The Pixelmaster 4.0 is kinda like a complete redesign over the previous gen PixelMaster 3.0 . We get the HDR & Portrait Modes bulit right into the main Camera Interface. As far the other modes go you can swipe from Left to Right to access them. I kinda like the redesign as it looks a little bit more professional now.

There are also a few live custom effects that you can choose from for your photos by swiping from Right to Left from the Main Camera Interface.

Screenshot_20171108-113551.jpg

I personally didn't find this feature useful. Maybe I would use the Grayscale mode sometimes but, other modes do not matter to me. But, everyone's preferences are a little bit different so, I don't know, maybe some of you guys may need this feature. In that case, you're more than welcome to.

Now, the 12MP Main Sensor is actually a very good one. It's an IMX362 & ASUS is also packing a f-1.8 lens alongside it. So, it takes good selfies in Daylight & if you want you can take 24 Megapixel shots by using the DuoPixel Mode in settings where it basically combines the data of two 12MP photos to create a 24MP photo.

Screenshot (Nov 9_ 2017 1_31_06 AM).jpg

The Wide-angle lens may come in handy while you're taking Group Selfies or if you want to fit in much more of the background in your shot. That camera is basically a 5MP one with a f-2.2 lens.

If you want to make 4K Vlogs with this device you definitely can as this shoots 4K from both the Front & the Back Cameras and at this price point this is the only device to do that. One thing to keep in mind though, the lenses are not optically stabilized so, you have to deal with the accidental shakes. But, keeping that aside, this thing is a really good option for 4K Vlogging at this price.

Rear Facing Camera -

The Rear Facing Camera works just as you saw on the Front Facing Camera. So, we do have HDR & Portait mode controls built in the the Main Camera Interface but, we do get a lot of extra & useful modes on the Main Shooter.

Screenshot_20171108-113618.jpg

Screenshot_20171108-113624.jpg

So, we do have the Pro Mode for Manual Controls & that is by far my favourite mode on this Camera. The other modes include Super Resolution, Panorama, Beautification, GIF Animation and also the Slow Motion & Time Lapse Video. You also get the Custom effects on this one that again for me isn't very useful but, it's there anyway.

Screenshot_20171108-113702.jpg

So, for some weired reason ASUS has decided to go with an f-2.2 lens for this Camera. In daylight it takes good photos but, in low-light the smaller aperture does effect the Image Quality a bit. So, Low-light performance in my opinion was something that ASUS could have made a lot better by using a f-1.8 or at least even a f-2.0 lens but, I don't know what was the reason for going with a f-2.2 . Going with a wider aperture would have helped that capable sensor to perform better in low light so, that's kinda a disappointment to me.

So, it's actually a Good Camera in daylight & a Not-so-good Camera in low-light. I was quite satisfied with the performance of the device in Daylight & I felt the lens is comparetively wide-angle compared to a what I have in my Zenfone Zoom. Sometimes that extra wide-angle helps to get a little bit more into the shot. See the image below for a better understanding of this fact...

P_20171104_141709.jpg

I'm personally satisfied with this Camera as it takes pretty good photos. My few suggestions to ASUS will be,

• Avoid using f-2.2 on the Rear Cameras of your devices.
  • At this price point, try adding OIS in the Rear Camera. You have done that before in Zenfone 3.
  • Work on the software optimization a little bit more as I think that sometimes limits the performance of your Camera hardware.

My Final Thoughts (Verdict) -

Frankly, the Cameras has performed better than I expected. I kinda knew that being the main focus, the Front Facing Cameras are going to be good but, the Rear Facing Camera was better than I expected. It's generally brands forget about Rear Cameras in selfie focused devices but, I'm glad to see ASUS didn't choose the same path as others.

If selfies are your Priority then you can definitely consider this phone. Also, having 4K Recording Capabilities in the Front Facing Cameras are a plus for those Smartphone Vloggers out there but, you have to deal with the Stabilization yourself as again you don't get any OIS built in.

I felt that the Front Camera 4K footage was pretty good so, you don't need to be worried about the actual quality. Also, being the cheapest phone at 23999 that is Capable of shooting 4K from the Front Camera, puts this phone in a slight advantage compared to other offerings at similar pricing.

So, overall, Good Cameras & I feel that ASUS has improved quite a bit on the Camera side compared to their Previous Generations of Smartphones & I'll like to see them improving even more in the future. But, overall I am kinda satisfied with the Camera here.

The Zenfone 4 Selfie is selling in India via. Flipkart and if you want to pick one up right now, I'm leaving a link below,

If you want a deeper investigation on the complete device though, you have to wait for my Full Review that'll be live in a Week or two. So, definitely keep checking back on Zentalk if you don't want to miss that. Thank you for reading & I'll catch you guys with my next article. See you soon !

Former Dr.Zen Ronit Roy

Devices: ASUS 6Z , Zenfone Max Pro (M2) ZB630KL , Zenfone 3 ZE520KL , ROG G501VW , Zenfone Zoom ZX551ML , Zenfone 4 A450CG
Props
IND Dr. Zen(IN) | All posts
Beautiful shots buddy Great review.... Selfie pro proves that it has a great camera..
Props
IND Dr. Zen(IN) | All posts
ZenFone 4 Selfie Pro has Slow Motion Mode but the Dual Cam version don't I wonder why!!?
BTW Nice Review Ronit.
Props
IND Moderator | All posts
Nice review, anyone looking for camera review of this device will find it really helpful.
Props
suraj0606 posted on 2017/11/9 08:06
Beautiful shots buddy Great review.... Selfie pro proves that it has a great camera..

Thank you Suraj & yes, the Camera is pretty good on the Selfie Pro.
Props
starktend posted on 2017/11/9 09:22
ZenFone 4 Selfie Pro has Slow Motion Mode but the Dual Cam version don't I wonder why!!?
BTW Nice Re ...

Slow Motion is not supported in the Snapdragon 430.                     
Props
Zen_Aakash posted on 2017/11/9 13:36
Nice review, anyone looking for camera review of this device will find it really helpful.

Thank you Zen_Aakash                                                                                                                        
Props
Cool Photos!! Nice Work!
Props
Zen_Ro posted on 2017/11/17 15:54
Cool Photos!! Nice Work!

Thanks, Zen_Ro                                                                                                                                     
Props
Very nice pics.. Great camera..!
Props
12Next
Advanced mode
You need to login first Login | Register Now

Points policy of this forum

wishes

Archiver|Mobile ver.|

Fast reply Top Return to list
Share link list