Release Note
ZenTalk

[Experience Sharing] Zenfone 4 Selfie Pro ZD552KL Full Review - Worth Considering ?

2057 0
Jump to specific floor
Latest Post
mail2ronit IND Dr. Zen(IN) | All posts
Last edited by mail2ronit on 2017/11/27 11:35

FR Cover.jpg

The Zenfone 4 Selfie Pro is one of the few devices made by ASUS that is geared towards Selfies but, also has a nice balance in the Hardware department. That's why I was interested in this device & thought of giving you a comprehensive review so, this is your in-depth look at the Zenfone 4 Selfie Pro.

ZF4 Selfie Pro MS.png

Ok, we'll be doing this straight on point & I know that many of you are already familier with my review format but, if you're new here, I divide my review into the most essential parts & discuss the parts one by one. After these are over, I'll give you my final thoughts & stuff and that's where the review ends. So, let's jump right into it.

SF4P FR Display R.png

The Display is a 5.5 inch 1920 x 1080 AMOLED Panel. So, 2017 is the year of those tall 18:9 Screens. But, as ASUS has delivered an Amoled Panel at this price point, I will go for the 16:9 AMOLED over an 18:9 IPS Panel. The panel in genral looks pretty good. The benefit of being AMOLED is mainly the accurate pitch blacks that an IPS panel simply cannot deliver. If you wish to learn more about the Advantages of AMOLED over IPS, I have an article on Smartpgone Displays that I'll link in the end of this article.

P_20171104_154040.jpg

In exposed sunlight, I'd say the Display is fairly visible at it's max brightness that is around 500 nits. I didn't have any issue for doing just regular stuff in those kind of situations. But, something you must know is that, the shiny Corning Gorilla Glass (I don't know the exact version name) on top is super reflective. So, the only challenging daylight situations appeared when I was using the Camera. It's not a terrible experience, I mean it's definitely visible but, I feel that ASUS could have used 600 nits for better convenience in Daylight.

A pro tip will be, Keep your Display in Auto Brightness mode so, it can adjust accordingly to the surroundings so, you don't need to do that Manually everytime. Personaly I kinda ended up liking the AMOLED panel quite a lot. The colors were great & though I'm not a Fan of the warmer color tone, I tuned it with Splendid anyway. So overall, Good Display.

SF4P FR DaB C.png

As I haven't given any Impressions article for this device, I will actually take you through the design in this section. So, on the Front we have The 5.5 inch 1080P Amoled Display alongside the Dual Front-facing Cameras, the Call Speaker Grill, the Front Facing Flash & the Proximity sensor on the Upper side and the Navigation Buttons & the Home & Fingerprint Scanner on the Down-side.

STaSB C.jpg

On the left side we have the Dual Hybrid Sim Slot & on the Right we have the Volume Rockers & the Power Button...

PLaPR C.jpg

On the top we only have the Noise Cancellation Microphone & on the Bottom we have the 3.5 mm Headphone Jack, Micro-USB Port, & the Primary Speaker Grill.

P_20171104_155226.jpg

On the Back we have the 16MP Rear Facing Camera & the Single-tone LED Flash. For some weired reason ASUS dropped the Laser Autofocus in this series. I'm not sure why but, it was a really nice feature to have.

P_20171104_155313.jpg

Now talkining about the Build Quality, ASUS has used an Aluminium Alloy in the Zenfone 4 Selfie Pro. Many people were just qurious about the build material as the normal Zenfone 4 Selfie or Zenfone 4 Selfie Dual Cam versions have plastic construction. But, this one is Metal. The device is also very thin but, it's not that slippery in hand. If I talk about some protection though, ASUS does include a Transparent Softcase in the box & I'll recommend using that for adding a layer of protection.

The device comes in three colors that are Black, Gold & Red. My review unit was the Gold one & I personally don't prefer the Gold. But, it's a personal preference. So, choises may vary from person to person. I'd personally go for the Black or the Red cause they look a bit better to me & the have completely Back Front where the Gold variant ships with White. Overall, the construction feels solid in hand so, overall a Good Design & Ok Build Quality.

SF4P FR HaP C.png

So, the last part was about the outside of the Zenfone 4 Selfie Pro. This one is about the inside of the device. So, on the inside we have a Snapdragon 625 powering the device. This is the exact same SOC that ASUS used in the Zenfone 3 & as many of you already know, it's an Octa-core SOC running on a Clock Speed of 2.0 GHz and it uses the 14nm Process Technology. It also packs Adreno 506 GPU running on 650 MHz, 4 Gigabytes of LPDDR3 RAM & 64 Gigabytes Of Internal Storage.

Now, I am presonally don't care about Benchmarks that much but, I know that many of do look for them. So, here are some of the Bachmarking Scores,

Overall Performance

Benchmarks OPe.png

Graphics

Benchmarks GP.png

Storage

Benchmarks ST.png

Now, the Real Life Performance is pretty similar to the Zenfone 3 as it's basically the same CPU & GPU. The system feels snappy & the ZenUI 4.0 seems to be a little bit more polished. So, I would say that it's a little bit better than the older ZenUI 3.0 on the same SOC. I haven't experienced any lag or anything like that. That have been the case for older Zenfones with Mid-end Hardware & it's really good to see that trend continues in these new Zenfones. If you're cusrious about how this hardware practically I have an article explaining the whole thing that'll I'll link in the end of this article as well.

Now, if you plan on Gaming, it's not the device that you can play every single high end game on Max Graphics settings. Games that just support OpenGL, get less frame rates then those with Vulkan support as expected. So, it pretty much depends on Game you're playing. But, definitely the Adreno 506 isn't as good as a flagship Adreno 540 but, that's actually why Snapdragon 835 costs a lot more compared to the 625. Anyway, I have already explained the Gaming part in detail in my Facts article so, I don't want to drag this very long.

Talking about Battery Life the Snapdragon 625 holds up pretty well here. It has a 3000 mAh Battery & in regular Day-to-day use, this is how the consumption chart looks like,

Screenshot_20171103-153155.jpg

So, basically I went though a full day pretty easily with regular use case scenarios. But, if you're planning to use the Camera a lot or play games in long sessions, you might need to plug in the charger early. What I have seen in my testing, when using the Camera, the battery precentage decreses by 1% almost exactly at the same time as the regular 5.2 inch Zenfone 3 that has a smaller 2650 mAh Battery. So, I don't know if it's the PixelMaster 4.0 but, the battery drains a little bit faster in the Zenfone 4 Selfie Pro compared to the 5.2 inch Zenfone 3 specifically when using the Camera continuously.

The Fingerprint Scanner is quite fast & it recognises the registered finger correctly around 80-85% cases. It's not a physical button in this case so, last time when ASUS used physical buttons, they were all passive scanners where you need to press them down to be able to unlock. This one is an Active Scanner so, just touching it is enough to unlock the device.

P_20171104_155001.jpg

There is a Mono Speaker at the Bottom of the Device & though it a single speaker, it gets pretty loud. The details like Highs & Lows are preserved well with some Bass to it. However, sometimes it can miss some of the Mids.

P_20171104_154256.jpg

Overall, I felt that this is one of the best single firing speakers in any Zenfone ever & ASUS kinda nailed it here. So, thumbs up for that ASUS.

Oh, and if some of you guys are curious about VoLTE support, then it is there. Now, I don't use a VoLTE network as I don't want to be dependent on Internet for calling so, that's why I was using a regular 4G Network but if you use VoLTE, it's avilable.

SF4P FR Cam C.png

The main highlight of this device are definitely the Dual Selfie Cameras on the Front. We have a 12MP IMX362 Regular Shooter with the Aperture of f-1.8 & the Secondary Camera is a 5MP Shooter with a 120 Degree Wide Angle lens with f-2.2 Aperture.

P_20171104_154625.jpg

On the Back we have a 16MP IMX351 with a f-2.2 lens on top...

P_20171104_155306.jpg

Now, if you're looking for some Camera samples, that you probalbly are, here are a few shots I took with the Zenfone 4 Selfie Pro.

Rear Camera:

P_20171104_143131_vHDR_On_HP.jpg

P_20171104_143201_vHDR_On_HP.jpg

P_20171104_161527_vHDR_On_HP.jpg

P_20171104_163256.jpg

Front Cameras (Regular - Wide Angle):

P_20171104_143919_vHDR_On_HP.jpg

P_20171104_143936_vHDR_On_HP.jpg

Now I have done a dedicated Camera Review for this device where I have a whole bunch of Camera Samples, 4K Video Sample & all the Discussion. So, if if want to have a better look at the Camera, refer to the link below.

Overall, the Cameras are nice for Daylight situations & in low-light not that much. If i have to complain on something it will be the Lack of OIS. ASUS had it in the Zenfone 3 last year but, I don't know why didn't add it in this device. Another thing is aperture. As ASUS has used a f-2.2 lens on the Rear Facing Camera, low-light performance is not as good as you'd expect. On the Good side though, I liked the Color Reproduction & the Dynamic Range quite a bit so, that's really appriciated.

SF4P SFT C.png

The Zenfone 4 Selfie Pro is running on the latest version of ZenUI 4.0 on the top of Android 7.1 Nougat & as I have mentioned before it's a bit more polished compared to the ZenUI. The biggest change however is the huge number of preloaded bloatware that ZenUI used to come with are way less in ZenUI 4.0 .

It keeps all the useful features like the Double Tap To Sleep / Wake Up, One Handed Mode & Lock Screen Gestures for Quick Access & adds some extra features like Twin Apps that let's you to clone an app to be able to use two accounts on the same app.

TA SCC.jpg

It also has something called the Selfie Master that enables easy beautification features for clicking better selfies. I didn't find it useful as I'm not a selfie person, but those who are into a lot of selfies, may find it useful.

I also kinda like the Features like the Always On Display cause, it keeps changing it's position on the Screen that makes it less risky for Screen Burn-in in AMOLED and becuase it's an AMOLED, the visual pleasure of that Always On Display is phenomenal.

AOD C.jpg

ASUS has also done some Tweaks in the Lock Screen like Changing The Wallpapers Randomly & Showing The Weather Forcast in form of Real-life Preview at the top of the Lock Screen. I kinda end up liking the Lock Screen a lot.

Screenshot_20171102-130747.jpg

On the bad side, the comparatively Long Animation times are still there. I feel the system felt slightly faster after I set the Animation Times to half from developer options but, it would have been better if they were set shorter in default settings. So, ASUS please make the Animation times shorter as that helps to provide a snappier UI experience. Long Animation times hold the system to be as fast as the CPU is capable of. So, that would be my only complain about the software. Other than that, it's a lot better now.

If you're worried about Android Oreo though, It's coming in the First Half of 2018. ASUS has actually confirmed it when they launched the devices a few months ago.

SF4P FT C.png

So, we've reached to the very end of this review of the Zenfone 4 Selfie Pro. Let's quickly go through the Pros & the Cons for the Device...

PaC Ce.png

The Zenfone 4 Selfie Pro is avilable at a price of 23999. So, f you're getting this device, make sure you're getting it for the right reasons. Get it for the IMX362 Selfie Camera, 4K Selfie Video, the AMOLED Display, the Audio Output etc. But, don't get it if you want to do a ton of Artificial or Low-lighting Photography, play Intensive Games at highest graphics settings, record super steady handheld footage & stuff like that. If you find the Zenfone 4 Selfie Pro to fit your needs, I'm leaving a Flipkart Link below.

So, that wraps up my Review for the Zenfone 4 Selfie Pro. If you have any questions, do ask me in the comments section below & as I promised I am also leaving a link of my explanation articles that may come handy. Thanks for reading & I'll catch you guys soon !

Former Dr.Zen Ronit Roy

Devices: ASUS 6Z , Zenfone Max Pro (M2) ZB630KL , Zenfone 3 ZE520KL , ROG G501VW , Zenfone Zoom ZX551ML , Zenfone 4 A450CG
Props
Advanced mode
You need to login first Login | Register Now

Points policy of this forum

wishes

Archiver|Mobile ver.|

Fast reply Top Return to list
Share link list
Share by pm