Release Note
ZenTalk

[Reported] [System] Zenfone 4 supports Project Treble after upgrade to Oreo: True?

9065 15
Jump to specific floor
Latest Post
gizmochicken USA Level 2 | All posts
This thread discusses "Project Treble" and whether the Zenfone 4 (ZE554KL) supports Project Treble after being upgraded to Oreo.

If you want to discuss language support, please join another thread that is discussing language support, or please start a new thread. Thanks!  
Props
TWN Moderator | All posts
Dear all,

Yes ZE554KL supports treble, that means we follow the design rule of treble, including HIDL, but since ZE554KL is an upgrade device from Nougat to Oreo, we do not create the vendor partition, but include it in the system partition.
So using one system image to boot on different devices is not work on ZE554KL. It will work on new Oreo device.

Props
Last edited by gizmochicken on 2018/1/15 16:58

Thanks so much for the additional information.  Having support for Project Treble is great news!

I'm not sure why ASUS hasn't yet announced this news to a larger audiance.  The Zenfone 4 (ZE554KL) is now among a select group of phones that is "updated to support Treble" after upgrading to Oreo.  It's an incredible accomplishment!  The ASUS marketing team should be shouting this news from the rooftops!!   
Props
BRA Beta Tester | All posts
Why don't give people the option to format everything and create system partition? I would't mind having to do it.
Props
TWN Level 1 | All posts
Marschall posted on 2018/2/6 09:20
Why don't give people the option to format everything and create system partition? I would't mind ha ...

Would Asus devs create a branch for <1% beta-users?
If it was me, I won't do that.
I'd like to sell New Zenfone 5 for more $$
So awkward Zenfone 4 is.
Props
Marschall posted on 2018/2/5 20:20
Why don't give people the option to format everything and create system partition? I would't mind ha ...

Here's what I'd like see ASUS do for the ZenFone 4 and other models that support Treble:

ASUS would provide an optional update that would create a fully HIDL compliant vendor partition.  That vendor partition would not be used by the ASUS variant of Android (which would continue to use the components found in the vendor directory of the system partition), but would be available for use by custom roms.  This way, ASUS wouldn't need to support yet another Android variant.  And only those who want a vendor partition assume the risk repartitioning.

If ASUS does so, I'd be more likely to buy another ASUS ZenFone (and other ASUS products) in the future.  

Props
Advanced mode
You need to login first Login | Register Now

Points policy of this forum

wishes

Archiver|Mobile ver.|

Fast reply Top Return to list
Share by pm