Release Note
ZenTalk

123Next

[More Information Needed] [System] Tutorials Flashing via Sideload/Fix Bootloop/Downgrading/Root/Unrooting

53153 22
Jump to specific floor
Latest Post
ZarulOfficial TWN Beta Tester | All posts
ZenFone2 Bug Report
Model: ZE551ML
RAM: 3G
Firmware/APP Version: ALL FIRMWARES
Frequency of Occurrence: EVERYTIME
Rooted: No
APP Name: -
Screenshot: -
Last edited by ZarulOfficial on 2015/8/7 21:05
INDEX

0. Index
1. What is Recovery?
2. What is Recovery mode for?
3. How to enter Recovery mode?
4. What is Fastboot?
5. What is Fastboot mode for?
6. How to enter Fastboot mode?
7. Things You Need To Know.
8. How to Downgrade/Fix Bootloop?
9. How to Root?
10. How to unRoot?

What is Recovery?

In the world of Android, Recovery is something that you cannot ignore even when you are a probie player. (Those who stick to factory settings and expect no personalization not included.)

Recovery, in Android, refers to the bootable partition, in which the recovery console is installed. It contains tools to help repair your installations as well as install official OS updates by using a combination of key presses or instructions from a command line sometimes.  Android is open, meaning the recovery source code is available, so that building a customized ROM is relatively easy.

What is Recovery for?

A few years back, mobile phones were fairly simple, even with the advent of ones with camera. We do few things more than making voice calls and sending texts. Now is a totally different story that it is more akin to portable computers in our pocket. With increased complexity has also brought the need for features in case something goes wrong. Recovery is definitely the vital one.  

Most Android devices are defaulted with a fairly simple recovery mode that can be used to fastboot the device, recover, wipe data and find other info about your device. Just like a lot of other things with Android, even the Recovery Mode can be customized to do more things.

How to enter Recovery mode?
Turn on the zenfone, hold volume up + shut on/off button, once vibrate, hold volume up only. Once on Fastboot mode, press volume down until you saw recovery then press shut down/off button. Once you saw a android robot, hold shut down/on button and one press volume up.

What is Fastboot?

Fastboot is a protocol that can be used to re-flash partitions on your device (update the flash file system in Android devices). It is this small tool that comes with the Android SDK (Software Developer Kit), which is an alternative to the Recovery Mode for doing installations and updates.

Not all phones have a fastboot mode that the user can access. It’s turned on with Nexus devices by default as well as a few other phones and tablets and has been enabled by independent Android developers and enthusiasts on some other phones.

What is Fastboot mode for?

While in fastboot, you can modify the file system images from a computer over a USB connection. Fastboot mode can start on your device even before Android loads, even under the circumstance when Android isn’t installed at all. And because of that, fastboot mode is useful for quick-updating the firmware, without having to use a recovery mode. In fact, it’s the preferred way to initially install the recovery image. Once you set up, you boot to your phone to fastboot and you can flash image files to the internal memory. Flashing a custom recovery like ClockworkMod is a popular use case. The images you flash don’t need to be signed with a particular key, and thus you should use care when flashing. It can also be used for developer operations. Things like erasing partitions and overriding kernel command line options can be done. And all this features make the tool very useful for developing hardware and software solutions, like unlocking the Bootloader of Google’ Nexus.

How to enter Fastboot mode?

1.Using ADB permission, type adb reboot bootloader.2.By Zenfone itself.
-Shut down the device
-Hold shut on/off button + volume up
-Once vibrate, hold volume up only.

Things You Need To Know!

I am not responsible on any kind of reports or problems after following my tutorials regarding advanced user. Rooting device will void your warranty so be sure YOU KNOW WHAT ARE EXACTLY YOU ARE DOING NOW

How to fix bootloop or downgrading firmware?
Files to download

- Recovery (Select recovery build same with the firmware you downloaded)

Guide

0. Install the USB DRIVERS!

1. Extract the ADB tool to desktop.

2. Put "firmwares" and "recovery image" on Adb tool folder.

3. Put Zenfone on Fastboot mode and connect it with usb to pc.

4. Open cmd from the adb folder by holding shift button and right-click and click "Open command windows here"

5. type on command prompt fastboot flash recovery {recoveryname}.img

6. When finished, boot zenfone into recovery mode.

7. Set recovery mode on sideloading mode by pressing "Apply update via ADB Sideload"

8. Now on command prompt, type adb sideload {firmwarename}.zip

9. This going to buy you some time, so be patient! Now you are good to go.

How to Root?

2. Unzip the file on Desktop

3. Enable USB debugging (Setting > Phone info > tap 7x > Back button > Tick USB debugging

4. Run root_zenfone.bat

How to unroot?

Method 1 (Safer, Recommended by a Dr.Zen)
1. Open the One-click root folder.
2. Connect your device with adb debugging mode to pc.
3. Run Unroot_zenfone.bat

Method 2
1. Open SuperSU app on Zenfone
2. Press setting and scroll down.
3. Click Full unroot.

If you find this thread useful please feel free to hit (Support) and (Favourite) below.

Group - Beta Tester

Model - Asus Zenfone 2 (Z008)
[quote]See what's others can't see[/quote]
Props
USA Level 3 | All posts
Couple of questions:
is our boot loader unlocked we can just root?
will OTA updates work rooted, or work if we do a full unroot?
thanks
Props
JB007 posted on 2015/8/7 12:53
Couple of questions:
is our boot loader unlocked we can just root?
will OTA updates work rooted, or  ...

personally i don't know that the bootloader unlocked or locked.
Ota will work on recieving update but not work on installing so just unroot then install the ota.
Props
IND Dr. Zen(IN) | All posts
It is better if users unroot using the unroot.bat file in their PC within the Zenfone rootkit folder.
Unrooting from Super-SU reroots some kernels.
Full unroot from .bat file does not leave any residue.
Props
debopriyobasu posted on 2015/8/7 20:49
It is better if users unroot using the unroot.bat file in their PC within the Zenfone rootkit folder ...

I see, thanks for reporting! Due I never done that before I will edit the post as the method is safer you described.
Props
IND Dr. Zen(IN) | All posts
ZarulOfficial posted on 2015/8/7 18:24
I see, thanks for reporting! Due I never done that before  I will edit the post as the method is ...

Thanks for the detailed information.
And yes,it's safer than selecting "full unroot" from Super-SU app.
Props
debopriyobasu posted on 2015/8/7 20:57
Thanks for the detailed information.
And yes,it's safer than selecting "full unroot" from Super- ...

Nothing less expected from a Dr.Zen! ;D
Props
ITA Beta Tester | All posts
The bootloader is locked if I make root?
Props
Cubo94 posted on 2015/8/7 23:16
The bootloader is locked if I make root?

yes you can do it, most of unlocking bootloader is used for flashing unsigned image or zip file
Props
ITA Beta Tester | All posts
Yes I know but I'd like to know if I using the first method, the bootloader automatically unlock
Props
123Next
Advanced mode
You need to login first Login | Register Now

Points policy of this forum

wishes

Archiver|Mobile ver.|

Fast reply Top Return to list
Share by pm