12Next

[Experience Sharing] Zenfone 2 - Camera Manual Optimization tips

24424 10
Jump to specific floor
Latest Post
sweetmeringue IND Level 4 | All posts
Last edited by sweetmeringue on 2015/7/10 19:18

Hi All!

Over the weeks that I’ve been experimenting with Zenfone 2 ’s PixelMaster, I came to realize how useful the Manual mode has been. Even while I could go about clicking images through the Automatic mode, I stumbled upon better images through the Manual mode. This is just why, I thought of sharing a little of what I know on Manual Optimization mode. I’m going to break this up in to the following: Saturation, Contrast, Sharpness, Noise reduction,Backlight and Detail Enhancement. This should help you gain sharper images.

Although, before starting with the post, I’d like to show you how you could go ahead and enable the Manual Optimization Mode through the below posted images:

Look for settings like shown in the first image and search for Camera. Here, you should find the Manual mode under the Optimization section.

1.jpg    2.jpg

1. Saturation

Through this Saturation function, you could adjust the color intensity of the image. By simply increasing the color saturation, you would beable to highlight the depth of the color and have the image look so much more lively. For example, image portraying saturation (+1.75) is brighter when compared to image, portraying saturation (+1.25). And in case of a negative, i.e. by simply decreasing the saturation point, you would receive a flatter color. Although, note that flatter shades also give away a good texture, depending on the theme. Either way, both help! Below are a few examples:

+1.75

3.jpg    4.jpg

+1.25
5.jpg    6.jpg

7.jpg    8.jpg

2. Contrast

The Contrast function helps adjust the brightness and darkness within an image. The plus range (+) for example, reduces the brightness and gives the image a greater depth. The minus range (-) on the other hand, will give away more brightness, thereby giving away a flatter tone. Below is an example of the same:

The Plus Range: (Gives away little light)
9.jpg    10.jpg

The Minus Range: (Gives away more light)

11.jpg    12.jpg

3. Sharpness
The Plus Range: Tends to over sharpen the image and may as a matter of fact loses its depth in the process.

The Minus Range: It is always advisable to shoot under the Minus range, preferably under (-2). This will help you with sharper images and will guarantee more depth, resulting in no grainy images.

Plus Range :  (+2)
13.jpg    14.jpg

Plus Range:   (-2)

15.jpg    16.jpg

4. Noise Reduction

Noise Reduction refers to nothing but the amount of small dots or grains that come along with a good capture. The trick is to identify such grainy images, given the fact that it isn’t visible. You would have to zoom into the picture a 100 percent to identify these grains or dots. Let’s take a look at the below posted example:

Plus Range:

17.jpg    18.jpg

Minus Range:

19.jpg    20.jpg

I zoomed right into the minus range and came across grains or small dots. It certainly wasn’t visible just by looking at it, only when I zoomed right into it, could I correct it. I had it then adjusted it +2 to take off all grains, so that when I stretch out the image a lot more during an upload, I would no longer be prone to a grainy image.

This is what a grainy image looks like:

21.jpg

5. Detail Enhancement
Just like the name suggests, its function is to enhance every detail of the image. Below is an example of the same:

Plus Range:
22.jpg    23.jpg

Minus Range:

24.jpg    25.jpg

6. Backlight
For better lighting condition, this function should best suit your need. Sometimes when you shoot through the automatic mode, the camera ends up focusing on the required object but may leave the subject underexposed. This is when the backlight feature does the magic. Look through the below posted example. The plus range gives away a brighter image, whereas the minus range gives away a slightly darker image.

Plus range:
26.jpg    27.jpg

Minus Range:
28.jpg    29.jpg

Hope this post serves you useful!

Props
IND Level 3 | All posts
Very Nice Information..
Props
After a lot of trial and error I found out that the best settings for the manual mode are:

Sharpness: -1.25(-1.5 would also be ok I think)
Backlight: +1 in order to get a little more detail in the shadows
That's it! everything else set to zero

Please try these and give a feedback
thanks
Props
IND Beta Tester | All posts
Awesome Thanks for sharing!
Props
IND Dr. Zen(IN) | All posts
thanks for the help...
great photography lessons
Props
IND Level 1 | All posts
Really nice....
Props
IND Level 5 | All posts
Great info much useful for manual mode users like me
Props
IND Level 6 | All posts
I liked it, will use ....thanks very much...
Props
Hats off to sweetmeringue for this amazingly detailed post
Props
well would you test more cause its changed PixelMaster camera now........ but my default manual optimization is -3 sharpness and -1 or -0.5 contrast rest all zero.... and metering mode as average..... the results are amazing with details with no grain.... when i need maximum details of close objects or person i change optimization to AUTO...... and for buildings and others is also different which i use
Props
12Next
Advanced mode
You need to login first Login | Register Now

Points policy of this forum

!wish!

Archiver|Mobile ver.|

Fast reply Top Return to list
Share link list
Share by pm