Release Note
ZenTalk

[Replied] [Power/Battery] Excessive Battery Drain from Mobile Network Standby.

2172 6
Jump to specific floor
Latest Post
B23 ROM Level 2 | All posts
ZenFone 3 Bug Report
Model: ZE520KL
RAM: 4GB
Firmware/App Version: WW_15.0410.1804.60_0
Frequency of Occurrence: -
Rooted: No
App Name: -
Screenshot: -
Description: Excessive Battery Drain from Mobile Network Standby.
I have noticed the phone uses a lot of battery when the network signal is not good. For example if I am in an area with no network signal the phone loses about 20% battery doing nothing. The problem still persists even when there is network service but to a smaller degree.
I have left to work today with 100% of battery and now (8:00 am to 3:00 pm) the phone lost 6% of battery just for the "Mobile Network Standby" (indicated from the battery tab in settings).
Props
GBR Level 4 | All posts
When there is low signal, the phone will use more power to maintain the connection. When there is no signal, the phone will use full power to keep searching for one. Move to an area with better signal.
Props
That is a bad response.  I can say that at work we all have signal issues since we all are on the same network and I am the only one to lose so much battery on my phone (hardly even using it). So I ask you now, why should I move in another house, get another job just because my Asus phone has a lot of issues? The problem is not where I am using my phone, the problem is the software of the phone, because, let's face it, since the Oreo Update everything is a mess. Developers make an update to add a Language and break the Wi-fi (latest update). This is just the situation we are in.
Props
Last edited by bill2_chang_ASUS on 2018/5/31 14:34

Hello B23;
As wai.hon.leong said, in this condition, the phone would consume more power in order to maintain connection with your operator network. I'm sorry but 7 hours of standby in bad reception coverage area that only consumes 6% of power, it's considered to be normal. Have you considered activating airplane mode while you are at work? It will conserve the power of maintaining connection with the network if you aren't using it. Thank you
Props
GBR Level 4 | All posts
Last edited by wai.hon.leong on 2018/5/31 16:35
B23 posted on 2018/5/31 13:58
That is a bad response.  I can say that at work we all have signal issues since we all are on the sa ...

Note that I am not a fan of Asus, I hated my ZF3 so much that I replaced it with another brand after just 4 months. It had tons of unresolved issues back then, and it still has it now. I, for one, will never buy another Asus anything ever again.

However, back to your network signal/battery life issue, specifically the weak network issue, not only ZF3 has such a issue.

iPhone:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7421202

Samsung:
https://forums.androidcentral.co ... -drain-battery.html

Blackberry:
https://forums.crackberry.com/bl ... ore-battery-921155/

I too live and work in a very poor signal rural area, I just keep the phone plugged in whenever possible. Helps that my new phone has QC3.0 while the ZF3 only have QC1.0.

Note that I am not defending Asus here, I hate them for stealing my money by selling me a piece of crap that did not function as they claimed it will, but when it comes to network signal strength, that is how things works. If you say that "other" phones does not suffer as badly, it could be down to their hardware/software are not programmed to search for a network as aggressively/regularly.

I will not comment on other Oero issues as I dumped the phone months ago so have no experience with it beyond the Dec 17 update.
Props
bill2_chang_ASUS posted on 2018/5/31 14:30
Hello B23;
As wai.hon.leong said, in this condition, the phone would consume more power in order to  ...

The problem is I lost 6% in 7 hours with 4 out of 5 cellular network bars. As I said, if somehow I go in an area with no cellular or only one line the phone loses 20% in a couple of hours, so I just turn it off.

Another thing that makes it even weirder is that on Nougat this never happened
Props
wai.hon.leong posted on 2018/5/31 16:33
Note that I am not a fan of Asus, I hated my ZF3 so much that I replaced it with another brand afte ...

I am not trying to dispute the facts, because you are right. I want to say that I find this much of a consumption very big however you put it.
Also the 'other' phones I was talking about were the phones of my coworkers and also from my personal experience with other devices that I owned.
Props
Advanced mode
You need to login first Login | Register Now

Points policy of this forum

!wish!

Archiver|Mobile ver.|

Fast reply Top Return to list
Share by pm