How does DoS protection work?
A “denial-of-server” attack is an explicit attempt to deny legitimate users from using a service or computer resource.
DoS/DDoS attempts to reach below three goals to make victim/system/server fail to provide service.
1. Make victim/system too busy to provide service
2. Occupy LAN bandwidth of victim/system
3. Occupy WAN bandwidth of victim/system
Enable DoS protection feature can filter suspicious or unreasonable packets to prevent from flooding the network with large amounts of fake traffic.
ASUS router uses following methods to detect suspicious attack.
1. SYN-Flooding Protection : Only allow one TCP/SYN packet to pass per second.
2. Port Scanner Protection : Protect router from port scanning via external port scan tool
3. Ping of Death : Only allow one ICMP packet(type 8) to pass per second or drop the length of ICMP packet over 65535.
Even if this feature can protect it from suspicious packets pass, the home network still have chance to be paralyzed by DDoS bonnet attack due to bandwidth can't effort massive packets. DoS protection can help system to be restored after paralyzing by DDoS attacks and at least keep LAN to LAN service working if system is not overloading.
How to get the (Utility / Firmware)?
You can download the latest drivers, software, firmware and user manuals in the ASUS Download Center.
If you need more information about the ASUS Download Center, please refer this link.