ASUS Antibacterial Guard
99% bacterial inhibition. Your health safeguarded1.
ASUS Antibacterial Guard, a special silver-ion coating2 applied to the most frequently touched parts of our laptop surface including the keyboard, the touchpad, the palm rest area and fingerprint sensor, has been scientifically shown to inhibit the growth of bacteria by over 99% over a 24-hour period.
of lasting protection
ASUS Antibacterial Guard Laptops
Vivobook Go 14 Flip
Vivobook S 14 Flip OLED
Vivobook S 14 OLED
Vivobook Pro 14 OLED
Vivobook Pro 15X OLED
Why ASUS Antibacterial Guard?
Compare the hygiene risk
The typical notebook keyboard contains 20,000 times more bacteria than a toilet seat6.
more bacteria compared to toilet seat
Silver ions2 prevent bacterial reproduction
ASUS Antibacterial Guard is a coating on top of the laptop surface, containing positively-charged silver ions2.
Silver ions and negatively-charged microbial cells are attracted to each other upon contact.
Silver ions will pierce through the surfaces of bacterial cells and damage their structure, inhibiting bacterial reproduction.
99%-effective bacterial reduction
The tests we perform adhere to ISO 221963, which defines the measurement of antibacterial activity on plastics and other non-porous surfaces. As shown in the diagram below, an initial sample of 10,000 bacterial cells are applied to a Petri dish surface treated with ASUS Antibacterial Guard, leaving the one below untreated. After a 24-hour period, the bacterial cells within the upper Petri dish reduced to just 16. The same test, performed without the Antibacterial Guard treatment sees the count of bacterial cells grow to 28,000. This test proves ASUS Antibacterial Guard can restrict bacterial growth by more than 99%.
Antibacterial protection for all main key touchpoints
The surface of any laptop harbors thousands of potentially harmful bacteria. To keep your laptop hygienic, it's protected by ASUS Antibacterial Guard — a surface treatment7 that’s applied on the most frequently touched laptop areas, including the keyboard, the touchpad (or ASUS NumberPad), the palm rest area and power button/fingerprint sensor. This hygiene technology ensures your laptop stays clean and sanitary, reducing the spread of potentially harmful bacteria via contact.
Laptop material surface7 with ASUS Antibacterial Treatment
Effective inhibition of almost all bacterial activities
ASUS Antibacterial Guard has an inhibiting effect on almost all known bacteria. All bacteria can be classified by Gram staining into Gram positive or Gram negative, named after bacteriologist Hans Christian Gram. The ISO 22196 test3 defines Staphylococcus and E. coli respectively as Gram positive and Gram negative. Many industries choose these two bacteria as test targets — and it is these that are tested against ASUS Antibacterial Guard.
Long-lasting antibacterial protection
The ASUS Antibacterial Guard treatment is durable enough for at least three years of normal usage8. Household cleaning products and agents such as alcohol wipes and soap water won’t easily wear away the silver-ion surface treatment, ensuring ASUS Antibacterial Guard’s long-lasting bacterial-inhibiting effect.
of lasting protection8
- The laptop coating can reduce the spread of potentially harmful bacteria via contact.
- Actual composition of ASUS Antibacterial Guard may vary.
- ASUS Antibacterial Guard is tested by an independent third-party laboratory according to the ISO 22196:2011 standard protocol which specifies a method of evaluating the antibacterial activity of antibacterial-treated plastics, and other non-porous, surfaces of products (including intermediate products). See: https://www.iso.org/standard/54431.html
- According to Google Trends; since January 2020, after the COVID-19 outbreak, the end user search in Google regarding “how to clean laptop” has increased more than 50%.
- According to Statista’s “U.S. daily media usage time via computer 2018-2022” article published by Joseph Johnson on January 27, 2021: https://www.statista.com/statistics/469995/time-spent-desktop-laptop-media-type-usa/#:~:text=Get%20in%20touch%20with%20us%20now%2C%20Jan%2027%2C,coronavirus%20crisis%20before%20returning%20to%20the%20downward%20trend, in 2020, desktop and laptop usage in the United States is projected to increase to an average of two hours per day due to the coronavirus crisis.
- Testing done by EMLab P&K, Team Nuggets. “Bytes and Bacteria: Exposing the Germs on your Technology”, CBT Nuggets, October 13, 2016: https://www.cbtnuggets.com/blog/career/career-progression/bytes-and-bacteria-exposing-the-germs-on-your-technology
- To identify which specific areas on your model are protected by ASUS Antibacterial Guard, please refer to the relevant product website for more information.
- Note that the protective effects of ASUS Antibacterial Guard were tested by ASUS on April 26, 2021, and follow the ISO 22196 method on our specially-treated test samples. The tests provide a simulation of three years of wear and tear, and include exposure to salt spray, thermal shocks, and both alcohol and wool-felt tests. Actual effective antibacterial-protection period may vary depending on product configuration and usage.