[Notebook/Desktop/AIO/MiniPC] Troubleshooting - Cannot find drives when installing Windows 11/10
This article provides a troubleshooting guide on how to solve the issue of not being able to find a disk drive during the installation of Windows 11/10. The solution is to load the corresponding driver during the installation process.
To provide you more detailed instruction, you can also click ASUS Youtube video link below to know more about How to fix cannot find drives when installing Windows 11/10:
For the Intel CPU platform, you need to manually install Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) driver during the Windows installation process. You can also refer to the Intel document of How to Configure RAID or Intel Optane Memory with Intel RST on an Intel VMD Capable Platform.
Note: The following pictures are a reference, it may be various depending on the different versions.
Download and Extract Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) driver
- Please refer to this article: How to search and download drivers. Afterwards, visit the support page of your computer model and download the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) driver from the Chipset category.
Note: The following steps use version V220.127.116.110 as an example, and the images are for reference only. You should download the latest version for your computer model.
- After the download is complete, double-click on the downloaded file [VMD_DCH_Intel_F_V18.104.22.1680_30787]①.
- When the IRST Setup Wizard opens, click [Next]②.
- Read and accept the Asus software license agreement, and then click [Next]③.
- Choose [Extract]④ and then click [Next]⑤.
- Read the important information and then click [Next]⑥.
- When selecting the destination folder, connect the USB flash drive to the computer and click [Browse]⑦.
Note: If your Windows 11/10 installation media is also using a USB flash drive, you can choose to extract the package to the same flash drive.
- Choose the root directory of the USB flash drive⑧ and then click [OK]⑨.
- After selecting the destination folder, click [Next]⑩.
- Click [Install]⑪, and the IRST driver will be extracted to the USB flash drive.
- When the extraction is complete, click [Finish]⑫ to close the installation program.
- Continue with the next section, “Installing the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) driver”.
- Connect the USB flash drive containing the Windows 11/10 installation media and the extracted Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) driver (VMD_DCH_Intel_F_V22.214.171.1240_30787) to the computer. (If you are installing using a Windows 11/10 CD, please insert the CD along with the USB flash drive mentioned above.)
Note: The version numbers and images below are for reference only. Please download the latest version from the support page for your computer model when performing the actual operation.
- Proceed with the Windows 11/10 installation process again. If you need to know how to install Windows 11/10 using installation media, please refer to this article: How to use installation media to install Windows 11/10.
- When you see the screen “Where do you want to install Windows” and Windows cannot find any drives, please click [Load driver]①.
- Select [Browse]②.
- Find the folder where you extracted the IRST driver earlier, select the [RST] folder③, and then click [OK]④.
- Select [Intel RST VMD Controller]⑤, and then click [Next]⑥ to start installing the driver.
- Once the driver installation is complete, the disk drive will be displayed normally.
If you still cannot find the disk drive during Windows installation, consider referring to this section: Disable Intel Volume Management Device (VMD) technology to continue with the installation of Windows.
Note: Disable VMD technology will make your computer can’t utilize RAID Array.
- Firstly, the computer needs to enter BIOS configuration. While the computer isn’t powered on yet, press and hold the F2 button of the keyboard, and then press the Power button to enter the BIOS configuration. Here you can learn more about How to enter the BIOS configuration.
- After entering the BIOS configuration, press Hotkey[F7], or use the cursor to click [Advanced Mode]① that the screen displayed.
- Go to [Advanced]② screen, and then select [VMD setup menu]③.
- Select [Enable VMD controller]④, and then select [Disabled]⑤.
- Click [Ok]⑥ to disable Intel Volume Management Device (VMD) technology.
- Save & Exit Setup. Press Hotkey[F10] and select [Ok]⑦, the computer will restart. After that, you will be able to find drives on this PC when installing Windows 11/10. Here you can learn more about How to use installation media to insatll Windows 11/10.
If your problem is not worked out with above solution and information, please contact ASUS customer service center for further information.